Longtime readers of my Gothic Beauty gardening columns might already know of my fascination of and respect for the strategies and tactics of exoparasitic wasps. The common analogy comparing the life cycle of the typical hunting wasp to the title creature in Alien, while accurate, is also very simplistic. Using the ladybug exoparasite Dinocampus coccinellae as an example, pray that hunting wasps never see chordates as possible hosts.
Who, Where, and Why
Who: The Texas Triffid Ranch is a gallery specializing in custom enclosures for carnivorous, prehistoric, and otherwise exotic plants.
Where: As the name implies, the Triffid Ranch is based in the Dallas, Texas area.
Why: Because stunning and unique plants need a appropriately interesting environment in which to show off their best features.
How: Check the Contact page for more details.
- Absolute Surefire Steps to Kill Your Venus Flytrap
- Cat Monday
- Dumb Ideas
- Hard Science
- Have A Great Weekend
- I'm living in my own private Tanelorn
- Personal Interlude
- Social Media
- Swimming in Strange Waters
- Tales From The Ranch
- Things to Do in Dallas When You're Dead
- Thursday is Resource Day
- Travels Abroad
- So...a question for my astronomer friends. I’m familiar with the concept of gravity lensing, but would it be theore… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 hours ago
- RT @Richard_Kadrey: I'm retweeting friends madly today. There's so much good stuff happening—for a change. 6 hours ago
- RT @sjmelchor: GUYS. Did you know you can pipette nail polish? The next time you have to seal microscope coverslips, you don’t have to mess… 9 hours ago
- RT @lilithsaintcrow: @BBolander This is one thing about publishing that really burns my biscuit. If a writer "forgot" to pay their bills th… 9 hours ago
- RT @WindleBeth: As the summer holidays are coming up here is a PSA to all parents and carers. When you visit somewhere. Remember that it’… 12 hours ago